Limit on empty downtown lots passes, blight fight and bid changes in motion at Nov. 27 SLC Council meeting
CITY COUNCIL of SALT LAKE CITY
What Happened at Nov. 27
SLC Council Meeting?
See Highlights in italic
Note: Public Hearing on Streetlight Funding scheduled for next meeting, Dec. 4.
Work Session- Items of Interest
The Council will:
- receive a follow-up briefing regarding a proposal that would modify the process and requirements for demolition of buildings and structures and maintenance of boarded buildings. Blight fight against nuisance properties in SLC continues as Council further refines current proposal at meeting.
- receive a briefing regarding an ordinance amending the City’s Zoning regulations on home occupations (businesses operated out of homes). Briefing not held. Planned for later meeting.
- hold a follow-up discussion with the Administration regarding the City’s Landlord / Tenant Program. Briefing not held. Planned for later meeting.
- receive a briefing about a proposed renewal of an assessment area in downtown Salt Lake City. Revenue raised by the assessment area would continue to be used to promote economic activities downtown. Discussion held. Possible action at later meeting.
- hold a briefing and discussion regarding an ordinance to clarify that bid requirements apply to all City funded building improvement and public works projects over a specified dollar amount. Council explored expanding contractor bid considerations (such as health insurance) to other SLC projects. Report: http://t.co/hKbL1OLb
- receive a briefing regarding proposed changes to ground transportation vehicle age and mileage requirements. The proposal also is designed to Salt Lake City Code consistent with House Bill 104 (idling laws) passed during the 2012 legislative session. Briefing held. Item later passed in formal meeting.
Formal Meeting – Items of Interest
The Council will:
- accept public comments in a public hearing and consider adopting Budget Amendment No. 1 for Fiscal Year 2012-13, which includes: two Fire Department studies, a study for a crime lab and evidence storage facility, and wetland mitigation at the Regional Athletic Complex. Hearing held. Action at later meeting. At hearing, Ze Min Xiao asks Council to support a new biz kitchen in the Leo to help disadvantaged groups http://t.co/mCjd1lsF
- consider adopting an ordinance amending sections of the Salt Lake City Code regarding demolition of buildings for parking structures. Council passes it, bans demolishing downtown buildings to create parking lots. Media Story: http://t.co/Ab4AaCUx
- consider adopting a resolution regarding a philosophy statement on Education. Passed.
To view the entire agenda for the Work Session and Formal Meeting, click here. All agendas are posted 24 hours in advance in accordance with Utah's Open and Public Meetings Act.
City & County Building
451 South State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Contact: City Council Office
COUNCIL MEETING DATES
(Note: Council meeting dates are subject to change. An agenda will be available 24 hours in advance by visiting: http://council.slcgov.com/agendas/default.htm or call (801) 535-7600 to confirm date and time prior to attending.)
December 4, 2012 – Tuesday – Work Session and Formal Meeting
December 11, 2012 – Tuesday – Work Session and Formal Meeting
January 8, 2013 – Tuesday – Work Session and Formal Meeting
January 15, 2013 – Tuesday – Council Work Session