Welcome to the Salt Lake City Justice Court
Salt Lake City Justice Court
Click here for driving directions
Phone hours: 8:30 am-4:00 pm
The mission of the Salt Lake City Justice Court and its staff is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law and improve the quality of life in our community.
- Your opinion matters to us, please take time to fill out our court survey.
- Jury Service Scams: Do not give out your personal information or pay. Rather, you may refer them to our court by calling 801-535-6430 or you may also contact the Salt Lake City Police Department at 801-799-3100 and file a report.
- Court Jury Scam News Release-click here.
- Here is a link to the National Center for State Courts regarding more news about jury scams in other states. http://www.ncsc.org/juryscams
- Salt Lake City charges a 1.23% surcharge on all credit card payments per City Ordinance 3.16.060. Effective July 1, 2016, the new credit card surcharge will be 2.12%.
- The Court offers Automatic Bill Pay or Automated Recurring Billing for those who qualify for a payment agreement. This service allows for a one-time setup of payment information, then billing occurs automatically each month, no need to manually make payments.
The City Justice Court system is comprised of three sections; Criminal, Traffic and Small Claims.
The Criminal section handles misdemeanor criminal violations.
The Traffic section handles infractions and misdemeanors that are non-moving and moving violations.
The Small Claims section settles legal issues and problems from contractual or service disputes or others claims which do not exceed the sum of $10,000.00. Small Claims has jurisdiction over cases in which the defendant resides or the debt arises within the geographic boundaries of Salt Lake City.
Parking and Civil Unit
Please be informed that the Parking and Civil Unit is not located at the court. If you have received a parking citation, ground transportation citation, alarm violation, snow removal citation, loud party, or animal control, you may contact them at:
ADA Notice: If you are a party to a case, a witness or prospective juror and you need special accommodations (including communication aids and services) during an upcoming proceeding, please call the Salt Lake City Justice Court at 801-535-6300, or fax the court at 801-535-6302 at least three business days before the proceeding.
When coming to the courthouse, metered parking is available and there are two private pay lots located behind (directly East of) the courthouse. Parking lot entrances are on 230 East 300 South and 245 East 300 South.
(click map to enlarge)
Court employees are not authorized to give legal advice to the public. The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for on a website; therefore, you are encouraged to consult an attorney about your particular case.