Electric signs, opinion questions, and Truth-in-Taxation hearing all part of Aug. 14 meeting of SLC Council
What: City Council Work Session and Formal Meeting
When: Tuesday – August 14, 2012
5:00 p.m. Work Session or immediately following the 2:00 p.m. Redevelopment Agency Meeting
(the public is invited to listen to the discussion)
7:00 p.m. Formal Meeting
(public comment section is included)
City & County Building
451 South State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Contact: City Council Office
Work Session- Items of Interest
The Council will:
- hold a briefing regarding a petition that would amend the Central Community Master Plan, zoning map and zoning regulations to reflect the proposed 400 South Livable Communities Station Area Plans. The proposal would implement land use policies for mixed use development and transportation options on the blocks adjacent to the 400 South transit corridor from 200 East to 1000 East. The change, in part, helps encourage redevelopment which is inclusive of all forms of transportation.
- receive a briefing regarding a proposal to enact an ordinance authorizing opinion questions to be submitted to the voters of Salt Lake City and establishing related procedures.
- receive a briefing from the Planning Division on a request that the Council consider amendments to Salt Lake City Code regarding electric signs. The Sections are parts of an ordinance first considered by the Council in January of 2012.
- (tentative) hold a discussion to review philosophy statements. The Council met in January to discuss priority focus areas and requested that staff provide draft Philosophy Statements for review and refinement by the public. The following philosophy statements have been adopted: Economic Health of the City, Arts & Culture and Neighborhood Quality of Life. The remaining philosophy statements will be considered: Transportation & Mobility, Parks & Open Space, Sustainability and Education.
Formal Meeting - Items of Interest
- Ordinances: Truth-in-Taxation Hearing. Adopt the final rate of tax levy upon all real and personal property within Salt Lake City made taxable by law for Fiscal Year 2012-2013 and adopt the final budget for fiscal year 2012-2013.
Accept public comment and consider adopting one or more ordinances adopting the final rate of tax levy, for all City funds including the Library Fund, greater than the Certified Tax Rate, upon all real and personal property within Salt Lake City made taxable by law for Fiscal Year 2012-13 and adopt the final budget for fiscal year 2012-2013.
( The tax hearing is required any time a taxing entity --in this case the City -- wishes to receive more tax revenue than the previous year. The hearing includes two judgment levies. First, the Council has proposed to enact a one-time judgment levy for the general fund. The Council also has proposed to enact a one-time judgment levy in a smaller amount for the Library Fund.
A judgment levy is authorized by state law and allows the City to recoup property taxes that were not paid in the previous year due to adjusted property values. These two are both one-time, one-year property tax increases, and will not be reflected on property tax bills for next year. The hearing also includes the final City budget, Library related items, “new growth” revenue from new development in the City, and bond repayment.)
- Resolution: Value and public benefit study regarding a donation of a fire apparatus from Salt Lake City to the Salt Lake City School District to be used as part of a firefighter course for high school students in the district.
- Ordinance: Capitol Center Properties Master Plan Amendment and Capitol Center Properties Zoning Map Amendment for properties located at approximately 1015 South 200 West and 1068 South Jefferson Street.
POTENTIAL ACTION ITEMS
Resolution: Council Philosophy Statement: Transportation and Mobility.
Resolution: Council Philosophy Statement: Sustainability.
Ordinance: Small Neighborhood Business Zoning District.
Resolution: Interlocal Agreement with Salt Lake County, Conservation Easement
and the Wasatch Hollow Open Space
To view the entire agenda for the Work Session and Formal Meeting, click here. All agendas are posted 24 hours in advance in accordance with Utah's Open and Public Meetings Act.
COUNCIL MEETING DATES
(Note: Council meeting dates are subject to change. An agenda will be available 24 hours in advance by visiting: http://council.slcgov.com/agendas/default.htm or call (801) 535-7600 to confirm date and time prior to attending.)
August 21, 2012 - Tuesday - Council Working Lunch, Work Session and Formal Meeting
September 4, 2012 – Tuesday – Council Work Session & Formal Meeting
September 11, 2012 – Tuesday – RDA MEETING & Council Work Session
September 18, 2012 – Tuesday – Council Work Session & Formal Meeting