Celebrate the City
Celebrating Salt Lake City's historic Leonardo building and the year it was constructed, 1964.
Saturday, September 22, 2012, 1–5 p.m.
The Leonardo and Library Plaza
209 East 500 South, Salt Lake City
The goal of the event is to help create awareness about preservation of historic buildings and sites in Salt Lake City. Celebrate the City is brought to you by the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Office. The event is free and open to the public.
Bird Show by Earthwings
‘60s cover band Contagious
‘60s dance performances by United WE Dance
Civil Rights sing-along by Redfeather & Friends Folk Group
Name that Tune, Dance and Costume Contests
Featured Events, Partners and Activities
• Free admission from 1–5 p.m.
• New “Water” exhibit
• Pop Art display by Jann Hayworth and guided activities
(Jann Hayworth is the co-creator of the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper album cover)
• Pop Art, drawing and painting display by Kent Christensen
(Kent Christensen’s artwork investigates cultural and personal associations with food, place and culture)
• Historic Celebrate the City documentary shorts
Salt Lake City Main Library
• Children’s catalogue card art activity
• Historical Leonardo building and old Library building photo display
• Twister game – Salt Lake City Main Library Urban Room
• Library Stamp / Celebrate the City Challenge Cards
SLCC Community Writing Center
• Table top writing for change activity
• Historical writing workshop from 1–3 p.m.inside the Leonardo building
• "Then and Now" Mr. Rogers activity
• PBS in the ‘60s
Night Flight Comics
• ‘60s comic Batman sketch display
• Comic book display and giveaway
• Batman drawing contest – submissions close at 3 p.m.
‘60s Car Display
Pop Art photo head cut-out
Carnival games with prizes for kids
Retro Candy Booth - Salt Lake Center for Science Education
Vintage Toy Booth - Blickenstaff’s
‘60s Concert Poster Display Booth - Ken Sander’s Rare Books
Vinyl Record Display Booth – Randy’s Records
Tie-Dye T-Shirt Booth – One of a Kind Tie-dye
Mom's - hamburgers, hot dogs, kabobs, nachos and more
Sasha's Popcorn - kettle corn
Volunteers needed for Celebrate the City
Wear your go-go boots and join in the fun as SLC pays tribute to the old Public Library building, now The Leonardo, and the era it was built. All supplies and training will be provided as well as food and drink.
To RSVP, contact Savannah at firstname.lastname@example.org or (801) 535-6202. Youth under 16 are welcome when accompanied by an adult.
Event Set-up: Help to set up canopies, tables, chairs, booth items, games, and more.
11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Stage Hand: Monitor the set-up around the stage area ensuring no equipment is misplaced.
Children's Activities: Facilitate a fun children's activity, assist with a life size twister game, or distribute awards and prizes. Volunteers will work in pairs at each activity.
Mix and Mingle: Interact with event attendees encouraging them to participate in the contests, help with directions, answer questions and more. Costumes encouraged.
Tear Down: Help to take down tents, tables, booths, and the stage area.
A special thanks to the following event partners: